Monday, July 11, 2011

The rain is a blessing but...

10th July 2011: It just kept pouring like the tears of a wailing child refusing to be comforted. Someone said on her bbm message; "Sixteen hours of uninterrupted rain", so true that's why its called; RAINY SEASON. I always say the rain is a blessing not a curse but this kind of downpour came like a warning to mankind,huh.
Yesterday's rain rendered some homeless while some like a friend of mine lost valuables in his house. Not even the big cars like the jeeps could manoeuvre the flooded roads while small cars and motorcycles were stuck. I stood at the bus stop over forty minutes waiting for a bus,as usual the rain either creates an artificial traffic or scarcity of cars. Not even a Samaritan passed by to pick ‎​​me,lol.

Pictures have been going back and forth on facebook, bbm(blackberry messenger) and I guess blogs on this sort of "Olufunsho" flood which swept across major streets in Lagos. Sad!

Btw,the drainages and other outlets in Lagos and Nigeria are a horrible sight to behold. First of all,which sane contractor builds a street without gutters?Who constructs major roads without adequately providing good drainages? Drive around Lagos and ‎​you find out that for years now drainages have been a major challenge. The gutters we have at the moment are clogged with sand, all kinds of wraps and bottles, dirts(people sweep dirts into the gutter),stagnant water and all kinds of things. This gutters breed mosquitoes and other insects which is not meant to be. Insects that cause diseases live in this gutters then fly into homes. Guess what,some people live just by some of this gutters, inhaling the pungent smell,of course mosquitoes are no longer pest but friends and the smell doesn't affect them anymore. Sad!

My brother-a civil engineer- was describing how a standard drainage system should be built which will reduce a lot of the floods in Lagos and Nigeria. He said sloppy/hilly areas require drainages that will fit that terrain and table land areas need drainage experts/engineers to study the terrain and determine a gradient that will fit a drainage unit for such an area. This gradient can be obtained from the engineers design. Now the challenge for some contractors(many of our local contractors are good at building roads but are not drainage experts) is how to apply that gradient. If the gradient is not correctly transferred from the design to the ground and the units are not constructed according to the design,the gutters won't flow.
Presently, we have built up areas that are already densely populated, and building drainages will be very tasking. Many structures may be demolished because most houses in the high brow and down town areas are sitting on the drainage channels(pipes).

So, if you're told that your house,I mean your PERSONAL home is sitting on one of this channels,what will ‎​you do? Are ‎​you ready for the consequences that will go with constructing standard drainage systems to avert floods in the future? Think about this!
For the Lagos State government to construct standard drainage pipes, many homes,shops,church buildings,offices etc will be affected(I'm not being insensitive here).
If you're moving into a newly developed area like us,this should serve as a warning sign as well to advocate for STANDARD drainages. Once our roads are properly built with standard drainages, the rains won't affect us.

What I'm I saying here? The rain is a blessing from the God who said "as long as the earth continues,planting and harvest,cold and hot,summer and winter,rain and dry seasons,day and night WILL NOT STOP". The last and only time God sent a flood was in the days of Noah,where he punished man's disobedience and He used the flood to wipe out man's wickedness from the earth. But he promised never to destroy mankind as he did with a flood. After the rains came a rainbow as a reminder of God's promises. So most of the floods we encounter in this part of the world are signs of "negligence"on the part of man. In my candid opinion,yesterday's was a man-made flood not a punishment from God as some believe. If we have basic amenities and standard drainages, the gutters won't overflow to the roads and there will be no floods.

For now,we all are victims of this mighty flood,and I sincerely empathise with all affected and hope that the government and all stakeholders will "make hay while the sun shines."

19 comments:

N.I.L (Naijamum in London) said...

When I was younger (in the seventies); I remember Lagos coming to a standstill whenever it rained. Some touts even made a living from pushing vehicles out of floods and carrying pedestrians across floods.

As a single girl (in the nineties) my flat in Surulere was flooded twice.

Thirty years on....I recall pictures of Lekki flooded in 2010. Then, everyone shouted about 'bad drainage'

This is 2011 and we are still talking about floods in Lagos.

Without sounding insensitive - I can bet that 2012 will come and nothing will change.
I hope I am proven wrong *sigh*

9jaFOODie said...

"which sane contractor builds a street without gutters?Who constructs major roads without adequately providing good drainage" my first thought when I heard about the rain, our problems are so easy to avoid + solve, I dot know why our government isn't doing anything concrete to solve them.

stelzz said...

I saw the pics and i marveled. people's homes, cars getting stuck including 'jeeps'...I've seen so many floods in the news occurring around me this year alone but most of them from natural causes. Not much could have been done to prevent it. But the flood in Lagos like you said is definitely because of poor drainage. I hope they fix this as soon as the rain stops. More reasons why Naija needs to change...

os said...

Perhaps the government of Fashola can do something about it since he seeme reasonable. There is a lot of work to be done and like you said, it will affect a lot of buildings but I don't think that should deter them. At least, El Rufai was able to restore some sanity to Abuja.

enybees-hub said...

Naija mum kai I de feel ‎​you die oh,I pray and hope this will be an end cos I have NEVER see this kind of flood in so many years. This one made ‎​​me cry,hmm!

@MAC my dear I have heard the government saying they will take some drastic moves so let's see...too many roads in Lagos and Nigeria require attention.

enybees-hub said...

@ Stelzz hmm,some of those pictures look like photoshop but they are real oh. My friend's friend were shut in their ‎​​home with water rising to 6ft in total blackout. I can't imagine being a victim. I was actually out in the rain as at 8pm and I know how much water I had to go through not to talk of those homes, *sigh*. I pray for something to happen ASAP.

@OS,well Fashola was on TV today looking really angry at the mess. My sister, he's told all living in affected areas,who's homes are built on drainages to evacuate. He said some houses do not are not in the plan and do not have any documents permitting them to buld houses there hence Lagos has a lot of illegal structures. Let's see what will happen soon....

Anonymous said...

i agree with you that this flood was MAN-MADE! It is not a natural disaster.

I hope so 9jamum... you are not been insensitive but stating the obvious truth because we- Nigerians have quick-short memory! By next month, nah another thing don occupy our mind!

@ilola said...

I don't think yesterday's flood was man-made. No matter the drainage we can have, it wouldn't have taken care of the flood. It might have reduced it, but not eliminated it. The downpour was one of a kind

enybees-hub said...

@ Ibhade GBAM!

@ Atilola my dear if ‎​you say so BUT I beg to differ ‎​you know why? I try to look at trends,antecedents or history of floods in particular areas in Nigeria especially Lagos. Yesterday, Fashola said and is saying this for the second time to my hearing that too many houses are sitting on the canals that should enable water flow. And so true,look at the affected areas I.e. Surulere,VI,Apapa/Oshodi,Iyana Oba,Egbeda,Agege,Ojodu,Ikeja,etc are those areas most congested at the moment with little or no STANDARD drainages to enable water flow.
Someone said to ‎​​me that most of our gutters are like "storage tanks", when they were meant to be drainage units for hay day. Most of our roads too have constant puddles ‎​γεαr in ‎​γεαr out. As new rain falls,it meets another stream of water and keeps storing till its too much to flow into the lagoon.

Now for this flood not to be a man made thing,let's build drainages and STOP blocking the ones we have now with dirt. How will the water even flow when the ones we have are blocked? Pls join ‎​​me and look at MOST roads in Lagos,check the type of "kekere"(small) gutters they have and some don't even have gutters? Go to Gbagada,Allen,Opebi,Ojota, Oregun,ketu etc and see what ​​​am saying too,how won't it be flooded there?

Well,its my candid opinion that whatever we have to do in this nation,let's do it WELL. ‎​​We can't stop rain from coming oh

Seshe James said...

So sad... God help those families that have lost their loved ones...

Gospel Girl said...

Thanx so much for the comments on my blog.
I'm saddened to hear about the floods in Nigeria.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected.x

enybees-hub said...

@ Seshe thanks for following...

@ Gospel Girl ‎​you welcome and na so ‎​​We see ​​​am oh!

Ginger said...

I saw those pictures and I was like what!!!I was really sad to hear that lives were lost. God bless the families affected thus.

I don't even think there's much that can be done short term..till dry season etc etc. sigh. Lord have mercy.

Thanking you in advance for completing my questionnaire!!

enybees-hub said...

Hi Ginger, thanks for stopping by!
My dear,I have been grieved at this flood true, painful situation and like ‎​you said it can't be done till the rains are over. ‎​​We just ask God for HELP and MERCY.

Btw,I filled your questionnaire as I promised :)

omoba-adeteju! said...

I agrre with you sis, that "the rain is a Blessing BUT ..." what disheartens me most about the flood was the innocent lives that were lost...
like i wrote in my post, God will indeed guide our leaders right and we, the followers to know and do the right things!!!

dosh said...

i saw the pictures all over my bb and on twitter and it was all really sad... the good thing though is God has blessed us (Nigerians) with a huge sense of humour, people living in Lagos were busy cracking Aki and Paw Paw jokes and talking of how the floating cars are their showers of blessings, lol

Seriously though our drainage system all over this country is horrible and it's going to not just cost alot but it will take quite some time to get it right but we'll eventually get there by the grace of God.

Bless you

Unknown said...

Punishment from God? More like climate change and terrible urban planning

Adiya
Muse Origins (formerly The Corner Shop)
Muse Origins

Unknown said...

totally agree with you on this. Lagos sucks when it comes to drainage efficiency. I hope this would change when they build new areas. I really do!

enybees-hub said...

@ Omoba and Dosh, my dear you've said it all. I pray it won't rain like that again oh Meanwhile the rain is still a blessing, let's do our work,he gave us those abilities

@Muse(Adiya) my dear na soooooo o! Thanks for stopping by ;)

@Adura happy to have ‎​you here,I like your blog